OAP Christmas Party
On Wednesday 18th December, Wollaston School hosted their Christmas OAP Party. This involved dancing, singing, a clarinet soloist, a ‘hard’ Christmas quiz, a full blown Christmas dinner with all the trimmings and Christmas pudding or trifle. The dinner was prepared and cooked by some of the Year 10 and 11 students.
I asked a plethora of questions to the OAP’s and one of them was ‘How many of these Christmas parties have you attended?’; I found out that one lady has been coming for 16 years and 2 others have been going since it started. Another one of my questions was ‘what have you enjoyed today?’; lots of people said the dancing and music and everyone loved the food.
I learnt lots of facts in the quiz – Guess what?….
- Iceland has 13 Santas.
- Tinsel was made in 16th century.
- France started the tradition of putting tangerines in stockings for the poor people.
- Norway provides Christmas trees for Trafalgar Square.
- 6,000,000 rolls of cellotape are sold in the run up to Christmas.
- Did you know that we consume roughly 17,000 calories at Christmas and you would have to work out for at least 4 hours to burn it all off.
The afternoon continued with a raffle (there were so many prizes!) and then Mr Birkett made a speech to thank everyone for coming, but most importantly the big man himself (Santa!) made his special appearance, giving special treats personalised by the whole of Year 7.
We hope everyone enjoyed themselves and we hope to see you all next year…
Grace Dooley – Year 7