IN THIS SECTION
We are delighted to announce that Cucina – pronounced “Cuchina” (the Italian word for kitchen or a place where food is prepared) have been appointed as the new on-site caterers for Wollaston School.
Cucina’s service to the school will provide an educational food service by linking the classroom and the kitchen. Students will be able to see dishes being freshly prepared such as home-made pizza being served fresh from our pizza oven, fresh bread made on the premises daily and a wide variety of freshly prepared main meals, salads, sandwiches, fruit pots and desserts as well as mouth watering homemade muesli bars, muffins and cakes.
For those entitled to Free School Meals, Cucina are unique in offering any two items from the vast daily menu for their free school meal value regardless of price in recognition of the importance of meals at school.
Cucina’s philosophy centres on the premise that eating well is crucial to improving ability and behaviour, as well as academic and athletic success. Cucina makes meals fun and helps students to broaden their knowledge and appreciation of food.
What students will see
- The use of fresh, locally sourced ingredients
- Growing herbs and selected vegetables
- Linking theme days to the curriculum
- Taste trials for new dishes and unusual foods
- Fresh food prepared in our kitchens every single dayFacts you should know
- I am sure that you will have heard about the food-based requirements for school lunches, introduced in September 2006, which were developed by the Schools Food Trust. These requirements were further enhanced to include nutrient based standards from September 2009. Cucina’s food offer exceeds these and supports our aim of setting a new benchmark for food service in our area.
- 90% of our menu…or more…is home made
- When in season, we buy our fruit and vegetables from British farmers or grow our own
- The majority of our meat is from mainland Britain and is largely red tractor accredited
- All tuna is dolphin friendly and all other fish is caught from sustainable stocks
- All our eggs and mayonnaise are free range
- All our coffee and chocolate is fairtrade
As well as fresh food for breakfast, break and lunch each day there will be “Take Home Deals” such as rotisserie chickens and freshly baked 14” pizza all boxed and ready to take away after school!!
Those who have tried our pizzas say they are better than Domino’s so why not ask your child to organise the family tea? We also run after school services selling healthy items to keep your children company on the journey home.
The menus provide excellent value for money, why not give it a try and let us have your comments?
Food Allergen and Intolerance
The fourteen allergens which food businesses are required to identify, as listed in the EU FIC*, are:
- Cereals containing gluten
- Sulphur dioxide at levels above 10mg/ kg or 10 mg/ litre.
From 13 December 2014, food businesses, including delis and restaurants, will be required to provide information on the presence of fourteen allergens if used as deliberate ingredients in foods which are not pre-packed. This is because allergen rules within the EU Food Information Regulation (EU FIC) come into force.
Cucina already adheres to this legislation, as we prepare our food from scratch and are aware of the ingredients in our dishes. Our Executive Chefs are able to provide our customers with verbal details of allergens that maybe present in any of our dishes. This will continue to be the case. However, to ensure that we are providing our customers with as much guidance and information as possible, we have analysed our 3 week menu and produced an allergen chart which clearly highlights the 14 allergens and which dishes they are present in. This document will be displayed in our restaurant and, for info, we also attach a copy for your reference. We suggest that this is displayed, along with our menu, on your website. Please note that we have not identified allergens which may be present in Chef specials such as theme day dishes, soups, salads, special sandwiches and sushi; however, our chef can provide any allergen guidance required.Information can be written down on a chalk board or chart or provided orally by a member of staff. Where specific allergen information is not provided upfront, clear signposting to where this information could be obtained must be provided.
In addition to the oral communication and allergen menu analysis, we will also be implementing prompt cards throughout the restaurant which will encourage students, staff and visitors to seek clarification and guidance from our chef if they have a food allergen or intolerance.
FOOD ALLERGENS DOCUMENTS
Café Opening Times
The school’s café is open from Monday to Friday at breakfast time (7.30 to 8.55am), break time (11.10 to 11.30am) and at lunch time (1.30 to 2.00pm).
It is also open all day for Sixth form students allowing them to relax and socialise in between their studies without disturbing their peers studying in the Sixth Form Centre.
The school has operated a Cashless Catering system since July 2012 which has proved to be enormously popular with students and parents. A typical transaction at the till is less than 10 seconds which means there is hardly ever a queue at the tills and more students can be fed in less time allowing them more time to get outside and enjoy the fresh air after consuming their food. You can find out more about Cashless Catering here.
Parent Information – Free School Meals
A good balanced hot meal at lunchtime can help with your son/daughter’s concentration in the afternoon as well as ensure they feel full of energy ready to study and learn in their lessons. The Free School Meals programme is designed to ensure students get an opportunity to do well in school, and eating healthily really does make a difference to children’s ability to make good sustained progress in school.
You can apply for Free School Meals for your child if you receive:
- Income support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Child Tax Credit Only – Income under £16,190
- National Asylum Seekers Support
- Guarantee Element of the State Pension Credit
- Employment and support Allowance (Income-Related)
PLEASE CONTACT THE FREE SCHOOL MEALS TEAM at Northamptonshire County Council by:
You do not need to provide any evidence of your benefit as this will be done automatically, buy the Free School Meal Team online.
All you need to do is complete a paper application, ‘phone or use the online form.